5:28 PM

Google Chrome

Only geeks like myself are probably aware that Google has entered 'The Browser Wars'. It's really not much of a war anymore. I'm under the impression that if you're a Mac user you stick with Safari. Windows users stay with IE with Firefox getting a little bit of the action, but you hardly ever hear about Netscape, Opera, Konqueror or Lynx anymore.

Since I'm a huge nerd and on the outer edges of the 'tech' field I was excited to give it a try. It pretty much sucks. I'll say that again. Google Chrome pretty much sucks. You would think that it would work better with the google services at least, but it doesn't even do that.

Being a regular user of Gmail, Google Maps, Google Finance, Picasa, and obviously Blogger, I expected to see some better performance or neat features that would be available only to Google Chrome users. But alas, Google Chrome actually does either the same or worse than Firefox for all those services.

In fact the last post that I wrote (Monterey Trip) was originally done in Chrome, but I couldn't publish it. Luckily it didn't crap out completely like it has at other times so I was able to copy it open Firefox and get the post ... posted.

My only hope is that since it's still in Beta, they'll get all the kinks worked out in a timely fashion so that I'll be able to see what all the fuss is about.

0 comments: