11:28 PM

A proper baby post

I'm so sorry for not having done this sooner. As you can imagine (or remember for those reading that have children), there is a lot of activity (chaos) associated with a birth.

Excuses aside though, we did get some good photos of little Emmett Russell James. The name is conditional on approval of my brother-in-law who is currently serving in Iraq. Remind me to write the post on Namesakes that I've been thinking of.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jared.riddle/EmmettDay
#

Pretty much every picture that we took of the day is there. I'm going to put some of my favorite here too though.

The picture above is a favorite just because of the story associated. Alice told the story already once, but it bears repeating. Meg is on the phone with Alice, litterally two minutes before she started pushing. I can have mom check her call logs, but I'm pretty sure it will confirm that Emmett was born within 15 min of when this photo was taken.

This is the first picture taken of our little man. Still in all his glory, but wearing the oh so stylish hat. I sometimes wish I was so bold as to walk around the hospital in just a hat. Maybe a hat and socks. Sorry. Brian that was for you. Anyway, you'll notice that he still has a bunch of his umbilical cord attached. It was a two part deal. The Dr. had me cut once really far away, and the nurse a second time. That should give you an idea of how young he is (maybe 10 min old?).

The last that I'm going to put up here is my favorite. It's Emmet right before being given his first sponge bath. He was a little fussy, but would calm down when I held his hands to his chest. I know it was mostly because newborns are a bit agoraphobic, but I like to think he was aware that the hand comforting him belongs to the first man that loved him unconditionally.

All the requisite details now.

Born 11:07am on Jan. 5, 2009; Emmett Russell James Riddle weighed 9-4 and was 20 in long. His head was 13.4 inches around. Mother and baby are doing great.

We love you all and appreciate the support, phone calls, emails, texts and kindnesses extended to us.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I have to admit, it was absolutely amazing how your baby recognizes your voice and touch immediately after entering the world. The same happened with Sam. He went from a squeaking, freaked out baby, to calm and collected and ready to meet the world with a guiding hand. I love being a daddy. Don't you?

Brian and Beth said...

I must say, he is very handsome for being so newly born. Trauma usually makes babies looked squished. But not Emmett. When Brian gave us a little slide show of Emmett after work Lilette said, "He doesn't look gross. He's not grey or skinny like newborn babies." We explained he is a new born infant he is just bigger than most. But she insisted, "But, he's cute." I think in her mind babies don't get cute until they are 2 or 3 months old. You guys make REALLY cute kids!-Beth