9:52 AM

Namesakes

With the birth of Emmett, the idea of naming children has been on my mind. For each of my boys, I've hoped to give them names that are unique without being odd, but more than that I've hoped for them that they could be proud of their names. I like to think that I've succeeded.

My parents thought of my first name on the way to the hospital to deliver me, but my middle name has always been a source of pride to me. I'm named for my 3rd great-grandfather. He was a pioneer, built or owned a railroad, built the first gristmill in UT and was one of the founders of Mesa, AZ. In short he was an amazing man. Google "Charles Crismon" and you'll find this, and this, and this. In having his name as part of my own, I have always felt a sense that I'm meant to accomplish great things like he had.

Which brings me back to Emmett. I've been blessed to have really good and admirable men in my life that have been examples of fatherhood, hard work and loyalty. I've been blessed to also to have these men related to me by blood and by marriage, who exude the difficult kind of love for their children. The kind that pays close attention and nurtures but isn't afraid to reprimand when needed and have the self discipline and restraint to make those corrections calmly. These men are strong and honorable and epitomize the attributes that I strive to have and hope that I do.

With that in mind, I had landed on James for a middle name. My oldest sister's husband is Russell James and he's one of these great guys.

When I revealed this name to my brother Wayne, out of the blue he made a connection to another person who doesn't deserve mentioning here. Wayne saying that disturbed me far more than a little, to the point that I needed to make the clarification to myself and to anyone else, lest there be any confusion who is the one I want my son associated with. For that reason, he will get to have two middle names. Emmett Russell James Riddle.

I should mention here, that I did explain to Wayne how disturbing his association was, and he apologized profusely, knowing the history and implications.

On the same day that Emmett was born, my younger brother and his wife found out they are having a boy. Previously they had been told that it was a girl. Fitting the stereotype, she was disappointed by the turn of events having already acquired numerous pink things and girl baby clothes, and my brother was very happy.

Back to the Namesakes topic though, my brother thinks like I do that a baby's name should mean something. With the choosing of a name should be a thoughtful and deliberate activity, not to be taken lightly. The name he decided is Isaac. My brother Wayne Isaac was and is ecstatic making the assumption that he is the reason for the decision. Little did he know (third person omniscient) that Aaron wants that name for the same reason that my parents chose it for Wayne. Isaac Riddle is an ancestor also who was a really neat guy, and coincidentally was at one time serving the same mission as Charles Crismon. We can't be sure, but it's not out of the realm of possibility and even seems likely that Charles and Isaac knew each other.

2 comments:

Brian and Beth said...

I love you boys names. Now I know they have a lot of meaning in them, but they are all great stand alone names. None of them are cheesey or trendy. You guys did great!-Beth
P.S. When is your family coming back to Utah?

mommyshan said...

I love the names!!! I agree that Rusty is amazing...(So is Suzie). It will be so cool when some decendent of yours names their child "Jared" or "Charles" from an amazing ancestor in their history. Congratulations!!!