1:54 PM

Old Friends and New Family

I came to a realization recently that I haven't made any new friends in a very long time.

Somewhere between the time that I got married and now, I just stopped making friends. This isn't an epiphany in the strictest sense because I've thought of this topic before now. In fact I remember about 5 years ago saying to my Aunt that I didn't want to make any new friends because it's just too much work. How sad is that? The intentional denial of human contact and expansion of horizons due to laziness or fatigue shall no longer be the definition of anti-social tendencies. It shall be the definition of my social life.

Recently I've been connecting with old friends instead. Facebook and the Interwebs are amazing things. Facebook has me reminiscing with all sorts of old High School buddies. The rekindled friendship that has prompted this though is that which I had with an "Army Buddy". Recognize the minimize quotes here. We were both in the Army when we met but it's not like we were in the trenches together. In fact if it hadn't been for our church connection, I doubt we would have even met. In any case, we were pretty good friends. Without lingering too long to validate this statement, I would say that he is the newest friend that I made who I consider a friend, and a good friend at that.

I mean sure, there have been co-workers that I'm very fond of and would even consider close confidants, but I don't 'hang-out' with any of them. During non-work hours I am nearly always with my family, and my definition of a friend includes the criteria that he/she must be non-related either by blood or marriage, and be someone with whom you associate by choice rather than obligation.

Before I get an onslaught of emails and comments decrying my lack of gratitude for my family, both close and extended, I should mention that one of the reasons I haven't felt a need to have friends is that I am so edified from the familial relationships that I have. Of all my siblings and in-laws (and there are many) there are none that I would shun. *aside "Shun.... shun the unbeliever". I mean to say, I would chose to spend time with any or all of them.

Alice, Beth, Brian, Aaron, Jennie, Ben, Joie, Suzie, Rusty, Wayne, Kelli, David, Juniper, Elise, Sarita, Daniel, Katelyn, Nellie, Cliff (yes even Cliff), Evan (family nod), Kristin, Jon, Sharon, Fred, Mom + Dad, Dad + Mom, Grandmama, and too many cousins to name individually (I'm sorry), are all some of my favorite people in this world.

3 comments:

The Metcalf Five said...

I feel special to get a specific shout out too. You are pretty fun to hang out with too. Spread the love. Ha!

Brian and Beth said...

I so wish you guys lived closer. I used to laugh & cty this a lot more when you did. Reading posts isn't quite the same. It was good to hang out a little at Grandmama's over Taylor's wedding. But there was too much going on to make up for lost time.

Brian and Beth said...

While I feel very honored to be on your list, why does Beth's name come before mine? I am offended. Wait, I just realized they are alphabetized to avoid bias. I'm still third. Nobody can take that away from me. Unless they re-arrange the alphabet. That would suck. We love you too!

- Brian