9:02 AM

Little Man Can

My brother is in school to become an interpreter. I've had a little bit of experience with ASL and I remember when I was on my mission I was amazed by a little kid that was just barely learning to walk, so about 10-14 months old, who could communicate with his deaf parents already. He walked up to a door that he wanted to walk out of and made the sign for open. Amazing. Short of using some vocabulary software that would get plugged directly into their brains, this kind of communication is impossible to expect for a little person that can hardly form words much less assign meaning to the words and messages.


Andrew's most recent love is Yo Gabba Gabba. So he's made up his own sign for it so we know that's what he wants to watch. At the beginning of the show the host D.J. Lance Rock opens up his magic boom-box with his toys in it. Sparkles come out as he says the magic words "Yooooo gabba gabbaaa..". So Andrew says "Yo Dab Dab" as he opens his hands wide. It's pretty cute. The show kind of tripped me out the first few times I watched it. Like most kid shows, it's very spacey, but now after seeing the I'm So Happy I Can Dance video by the Salteens I've become more a fan, and don't mind sitting with him.


1 comments:

Evan said...

Which brother? Dave?