5:31 PM

I want my BIG BANG THEORY!

My favorite thing to do with my clothes on is watch TV. Sad I know, but it's the only hobby I have and it makes me laugh. Since we got At&t Uverse complete with HD programming and a DVR (which is amazing) the wife and I have become more and more addicted to our shows. There are two however that she has given up that I just can't seem to get out of the habit of watching. Heroes and Lost.

She records them anyway because she's a wonderful woman and I like a wonderful husband don't watch them at home. I watch them on Hulu. What's that you say? Haven't heard of Hulu? hulu.com has a bunch of prime-time shows along with a bunch of old TV shows available for viewing for free with minimal advertising. Instead of sitting through 2-3 minutes of commercial breaks like on normal TV, the breaks are at most 30 seconds, and placed appropriately where they would be if you were watching on regular TV. True, I could watch the recorded show and fast forward through the commercials all together, but this is steering me away from the point that I want to make.

That point is this. The folks at CBS are MORONS. They are idiots that haven't caught up to the fact that in this day and age of instant gratification and immense availability, television shows are going to be watched through a myriad of venues with or without commercials. If you go to hulu.com you can see most of what NBC puts out. If you go to ABC.com you can see most of what they do. Both are with minimal commercial interruption. People HATE commercials. Sure they are the lifeblood that drives this capitalist society, but they are annoying and non-entertaining. Furthermore, both NBC and ABC have full episodes to watch. They've figured out the format.

CBS on the other hand is either way behind the curve or filled with execs that have their heads so far up..... I'll stop there. First, there are no full episodes available to watch. I wouldn't care except I've gotten hooked on two "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother". Instead they have 'clips' for these shows that are 2 min long. To watch them you have to sit through a 15 - 30 sec commercial. Do the Math people! The proportion of show to commercial is 1/4th. It probably doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're not getting a full show even, it's very much not worth it.

All I can figure is that the advertisers are paying a lot less for this avenue than what's being paid for hulu or abc ads. There's a good reason, no-one is watching them, so they're not reaching the audience. Essentially wasting your money. I'm not sure who's the bigger idiots, CBS for not catching up to the times, or the advertisers who are still willing to pay.

1 comments:

Brian and Beth said...

I agree commercials should be kept to a minimum. We broke down & bought a season of a show we really liked. It is definately advertisement free but we did have to pay for the DVD's. Bummer.